Chapter 10

Guns on the Hook

1874–1974 · A century of coastal defense

The Army arrives, stays for a hundred years, and leaves the concrete behind.

Battery Lewis at night — a monumental 600-foot concrete casemate on the Navesink heights with a single searchlight beam over the Atlantic, 1943

Placeholder illustration for Phase 0 — replace with archival photograph before publishing.

The Army arrived in eighteen seventy-four and left on December thirty-first, nineteen seventy-four. That is a hundred years to the day, and the exactness is a coincidence — the deactivation date was picked for accounting reasons — but it holds. For a full century the Hook was federal ground. It was the ordnance test range of the United States for the first forty-five years. It was a coastal fortress for the next thirty. It was one of the ring of Cold War missile sites around New York for the last twenty. And the town on the mainland — Highlands, Sea Bright, Sandy Hook Village — lived next to the guns, and worked at the guns, and fell in love at the guns, and buried people who worked at the guns. Every family in Highlands over sixty knows someone who was in uniform on the Hook.

The nuclear part — some of the Nike Hercules missiles at the Highlands Army Air Defense Site were nuclear-armed — was not made public until decades later. The town found out from newspapers. That has never quite been forgiven.

Placeholder narrative for the Phase 0 prototype. Real copy draws from the NPS Fort Hancock and Sandy Hook Proving Ground NHL nomination file, the Monmouth County Park System's Battery Lewis interpretive materials, Berhow's U.S. Strategic and Defensive Missile Systems 1950–2004, and — most consequentially — from the oral histories of veterans who staffed HAADS. Every named source publishes with attribution and, where required, redactions.

The row is a photograph you may already know. Twenty-two brick Victorian houses in a slightly curving line facing the parade ground at the north end of Sandy Hook, one per company-grade officer, one larger house at the head of the row for the post commander. Built between eighteen ninety-eight and nineteen oh two, occupied without interruption for seventy-six years, all still standing today.

Coast Artillery officers rotated through Fort Hancock every three years by regulation and often stayed longer by request. Their children went to school in Sea Bright and Highlands. Their wives formed a garden club whose surviving records make up one of the best sources we have for the daily rhythm of the fort. The garden club file is at the Monmouth County Historical Association.

Officers' Row at Fort Hancock — 22 brick Victorian houses lined along the parade ground, ca. 1900

Twenty-two brick Victorian houses, all still standing.

Placeholder — stand-in for NPS Gateway historic photograph.

A page from a Sandy Hook Proving Ground gunnery test report, ca. 1902 — printed form, range and elevation tables, official stamp
COLORIZED

Placeholder — stand-in for NPS Gateway archives.

The Proving Ground's job was to fire every new gun the country made.

The Proving Ground's job was to fire every new gun the country made and write down what happened. From eighteen seventy-four to nineteen nineteen, when the mission moved to Aberdeen in Maryland, every artillery piece the U.S. Army adopted was tested at Sandy Hook first. Ten shots of each round, elevation and range for each one, wind conditions and misfires noted, signed by the officer in charge, filed.

The files are enormous. NPS Gateway holds several thousand of them. The report on the artifact page above is one of the smaller ones — a single afternoon of a single twelve-inch rifle in nineteen oh-two. The Battery Lewis file from nineteen forty-three is by contrast about six feet long on a library shelf.

The defensive perimeter grew outward through the century.

The Proving Ground occupied the north end of the peninsula from the beginning, marked in rust on the map above. Fort Hancock's Endicott batteries added a ring of concrete emplacements around it in the eighteen nineties. In nineteen forty-two the Army pushed inland and up onto the Hartshorne heights to pour Battery Lewis on the highest ground of the coast, the second polygon south of the first. And in nineteen fifty-eight the Highlands Army Air Defense Site put a radar-and-command post further inland still, threaded between the older installations, running the Nike missiles.

The line moves outward and then contracts. By nineteen seventy- four everything except Officers' Row was surplus, and everything that could be moved was moved.

Battery Lewis was designed for the last war it never fought. Two sixteen-inch guns removed from the retired battleship USS Wyoming were installed on the highest ground of the coast between Maine and North Carolina, with a range of approximately twenty-five miles seaward. The Army built the battery in eighteen months. The guns were commissioned in October nineteen forty-two. They fired for practice — not at any enemy — through nineteen forty-five. In nineteen forty-eight they were declared surplus, cut into pieces with a blowtorch, and sold for scrap.

The casemate remained. In two thousand fifteen the Monmouth County Park System obtained one of the four sixteen-inch barrels that had been removed from the retired battleship USS New Jersey, hauled it to Hartshorne Woods, and installed it in the east emplacement of Battery Lewis in a two-year restoration. It is the only sixteen- inch barrel visible in New Jersey. It faces the same direction the originals did.

Battery Lewis commissioning, October 1942 — the newly poured 600-foot casemate on the Hartshorne heights, two 16-inch barrels emerging, an Army detail in front, colorized
Then COLORIZED

Placeholder — stand-in for U.S. Army Signal Corps.

Now

Placeholder — stand-in for ATH matched shoot.

The Nike Hercules missiles installed at the Highlands Army Air Defense Site starting in nineteen fifty-eight were surface-to-air weapons intended to intercept Soviet bombers before they reached New York City. Their maximum range was about ninety miles, their maximum altitude about a hundred thousand feet, and they came in two versions: a high-explosive warhead and a nuclear warhead in the kiloton range. Which of the Sandy Hook batteries carried which warheads was a Restricted Data classification held by the officer in charge and the assistant officer in charge of each battery. Not by the crew. Not by the town.

The nuclear-armed batteries at Sandy Hook were disclosed by a historian named Christopher Bright in a series of publications between two thousand three and two thousand seven. Local reporters wrote it up in the Two River Times the following spring. Most current residents heard about it in the paper.

The current NPS interpretation at Fort Hancock — updated in twenty twelve — includes a full paragraph on the disclosure. This is a good chapter of park interpretation and can be read on the site.

December thirty-first, nineteen seventy-four. The flag came down on the parade ground at Officers' Row, the last active-duty officers drove off the peninsula, and the concrete passed to the National Park Service. The town on the mainland woke up on New Year's morning nineteen seventy-five in a place that, for the first time in a century, had no soldiers.

The concrete is still there. Battery Lewis is a walking tour. Officers' Row is preserved. The Nike site is documented in Hartshorne Woods County Park with a small interpretive marker beside a rusted magazine door. The oral history vein is deep; the last generation of men and women who worked at HAADS is still here, some of them still living in Highlands, willing to talk. We are collecting those interviews now, per the /voices program on this site.

The particular Highlands you can walk today — the town without soldiers — began exactly fifty years ago and holds up.